Friday, December 27, 2013

Pilgrimage Hike To Mount Emei - Sichuan, China

It is a known fact that there are 4 sacred Buddhist mountains in China with recorded history dating back to few thousand years ago. It has been my wife's "Bucket List's" wishes to climb all the 4 and even if I refused, she would go alone on her own! So I had to push myself hard to tag along too. So far we have scaled the Mount Hua in Xian, Mount Jiuhua in Anhui Province and Mount Emei in Sichuan. We will cover Mount Wutai and Mount Putuo someday.



1. My friend recommended that we should stay at Happy Hotel at the bottom of Mount Emei which received 'fantastic' rating reviews online for such a small budget hotel. I realised this family run hotel provided very caring and warm service to advise us so much about the mountains besides lending us some shoe braces to wear. The lady boss also packed home made mantou buns & boiled eggs for us. She was just like a mother to me! I liked that!

The temperature was like -2 Degrees Celsius and I was frozen like ice! The room was freezing but we slept well with the electric warm blanket. Other 5 star hotels could be warmer but they didn't receive good ratings like Happy Hotel.




 


2. The next morning we took a 2 hour bus ride from the main road up to Mount Emei. Halfway, we stopped at small shop arcades to use their "Signature Toilets" which do not have doors! This one looked bearable to me. I have seen several which the partitions were just 2 feet and the men all shared a common drain to drop their poohs! At every hour. the worker would use a hose to flush all the feces down the drain!! The men could smoke and just chit chat with each other while squatting down. So fun to shit together in China! Oh My Gawd! Bluek!





3. We reached the bus terminal at the foot of snowy Mount Emei to start hiking up. We had to rent their iron spoke braces to clamp beneath our shoe soles to hike on the ice steps and snow. It costs 20 Remenbi rental with 80 Remenbi deposit.



 


4. Off I went up the steps and it was so bloody cold below the clouds. It was like -10 degrees with white thick snow everywhere! Many idiot people did not rent the protective shoe braces and fell down. Some brainless ladies wore high heels to look pretty & walked up. They also fell flat many times like clowns. Aiyo it was so bloody dangerous! Never die before la.





5. Some rich sohai fellas hired the workers to carry them up and down. Oh man, it was such a long journey and it's no joke!!! The hike was some 2 km to reach the Cable Car's station midway and another 2 km hike at the top station to reach the summit!!! It was thick ice and snow all the way.





6. I love my wife the most in this world and would obediently walk behind to make sure that she was alright. Actually I was also panting so hard like a sick dog behind as I could not breathe the thin air! Muahahahaha





7. We reached some small cottages halfway. As usual I must pretend to take photos so that I could rest my aching legs and bones otherwise the other CB folks would laugh at me. Even the 80 year old grandmas had better stamina than me. No kidding!





8. Finally we reached the Cable Car Station which shortened our hike other wise it would be another 10 km of walk.



  

9. It was all white, snowy, frosty and blurred my photos. 
Hey my camera was brand new and good one leh. So kiasu me.





10. We reached above the clouds! Look at the sun!! It was so bright, hot and still cold. It was such a confusing temperature! Everyone had to wear sunglasses to reduce the white glare of the snow.





 11. Look at the Snowman and I.





12. Look at the lovely view with clear visibility. Most people did not have the chance to see such clear skies above the clouds. I think the heavens look like this! Has anyone been to heavens & back?





 13. The snow covered the roofs of the temples below. It was a pretty sight to behold. The plateaus are there too.




14. Look at my fingers! I was pointing at the Mountains of Tibet! Can you see Tibet?





15. This is the closer view of the Mountains of Tibet. Beautiful isn't it?? Hello??






16. I reached the summit finally! Hooray! Look at the heavenly clouds below!





17. The final steps to reach the Golden Summit's Temple at the top.






18. There are many huge heavenly elephants lining the steps up. The Bodhisattva rides on these elephants.




19. I was overjoyed and happy at last.





 

20. The Golden Summit Temple with the statue of Samantabhadra Bodisattva who rides on the heavenly elephants. 
The 10 heads above signifies the 10 vows she has made.




  

21. We left our hand prints behind.




76 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. As usual, been hogging the pc from morning til now. Thanks for posting this, so that I can komen-komen a bit before going home, keke..

      Delete
    2. Aiyo! You another scary one today! I belum habis adjust and you already comment! Thank you!! Have a good weekend.

      Delete
    3. Huhu, before you posted the toilet pictures, I was wondering yesterday, did you experience going to those toilets (without doors) and taking pictures of it? Now I know my answer liao.. Haha, you ni ahh...

      Eh, guys ok la, can pee facing inside... Wait, if wana poo how? Cover with umbrella?

      Females leh? How to pee/poo? Get her partner to cover with umbrella ka?

      Delete
    4. I wana follow SK's statement.. Hehe copyright.. You interrupted my komens la, so I don't have a nice streaky komen liao now, kekekeke..

      SK, if you are reading this, sorry, I know it's your copyright sentence..

      Delete
    5. They are not shy. They squat and face the front for you to see dei!!! The ladies there do not use umbrellas!

      Delete
    6. Wah, those rich SH fellas paid some kuli's to carry them up the mountains.. Wahlao.. Like a king, man !
      Did you find out how much those kuli's got paid?

      Delete
    7. Again, dumb blondes and bimbos who wear heels knowing that they have to climb the mountains today.. Gawd.. Where are their brains? Dropped to their boobs I guess..

      Oi leng mm moi meang.. But well, kiki ku kiki sin lor.. Don't bother about those bimbos lah ..

      Delete
    8. So when you were walking slowly behind your wife, panting and gasping for air, did you take out some packet cili sos from KFC/McD to suck to release tension? Kekekeke..

      Eh, I like your pose-see la.. Lei chan hai pannai pai pose-see.. Macam SK's trademark pose-see..

      Delete
    9. Wah, your overjoyed face picture very yau ying.. Hou yau ngai sut, I loike..
      Not looking at the camera, open mouth and smile, very yau ngai sut feeling..
      Clever boy wor take picture like that..

      Delete
  2. Eeeeee!!!! It's true what people keep telling me. Toilets with no doors!!!! Did they carry you? You'd have to pay double wor... I know! I know! I'd have to pay triple or quadruple. Muahahahahahaha!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they told me the tourist guide said bring umbrella when going in to cover the faces - down there, never mind...all the same...and no one would know whose....when they happen to catch sight of what's down below. Muahahahahahaha!!!!!

      Delete
    2. Wakakakaka! You really cracked me up!!!

      The elephants can carry you up the mountains.

      Delete
    3. I did take many ugly feces in dirty toilets during my last hike up to Mount Jiuhua in Anhui but I dare not post them. So damn geli and gave me goose bumps la!!!

      Delete
    4. OMG, you really took photos of the shit in the toilets?
      Puh-leese, you ni ahh !!! Ngor chan hai pui-fook you.. You see back those photos, you got appetite mou?

      Delete
  3. Love the sceneryla. White snow, blue skies.

    Who cares about shit when one can witness those! :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy hotel sure looks like a nice place.

    A down-to-earth place can feel like heaven because of the warmth of the people running it. A grand place will feel empty and uninspiring if the people are not emphatic. Don't you agree?

    ReplyDelete
  5. anay sure look like a happy, energetic kid in the photos :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a known fact that there are 4 sacred Buddhist mountains in China
    aiyoyo, Thambee felt so shame for not knowing this until Anay blog about his trips to China!!!

    even if I refused, she would go alone on her own! So I had to push myself hard to tag along too
    aiyoyo, Anay so sweet and is such a loving husband dei~~

    we have scaled the Mount Hua in Xian, Mount Jiuhua in Anhui Province and Mount Emei in Sichuan. We will cover Mount Wutai and Mount Putuo someday
    wah, 2 downs and 2 more to go!! Anay will be doing this "grand slam" next year??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #1.. that hotel looks comfortable, it's tidy and clean, and you have warm food being packed by the lady boss to bring along!! that's nice!! and bonus was that she shares her advices with you..

      #2.. yeah, this toilet actually looks quite bearable, at least it is a lot cleaner and has flush toilet (about the same like what we have in most of our neighbourhood kopitiam lah).. but of course having no doors is still something quite weird.. did you shit there?? :p

      #3.. RMB20 to rent the spike braces, not expensive, especially if you really need that to prevent yourself from falling on the snow..

      Delete
    2. #4.. aiyoyo look at my Anay!! he looked so happy posing in the photo!! just started a few steps and already pretending to take photos so that you can rest?? hahahaha :D

      #5.. aiyoyo, so young and look so energetic and yet that two SH cannot walk but need to be carried to the cable car station?? tsk tsk tsk..

      #8.. wow!! it is so beautiful up there with the trees and cottage covered by the white snow.. and your camera was good enough lah, i used my phone to snap photos when i went to Japan only dei~~

      Delete
    3. #11.. muahahahaha!! my Anay with the snowman, what a perfect match!!

      #13.. stunning!! amazing!! breathtaking!! this is such a great view from the top.. yeah, the snow-capped mountains of Tibet within the clouds.. and did Letchumy actually think of climbing one of those mountains while she was looking from afar?? Anay soft-legged already~~ :p

      #16.. KNS all sort of different funny looking pose you had!! i must go to Japan again and pose different style.. only sideways with hands in my pocket pose is so boring dei~~

      Delete
    4. #18.. wow, it is even more beautiful from the Golden Summit's Temple at the peak!!! the path, the statues and the trees seem to be lining up to welcome guest to bring that magnificent view into their memories!!

      #19.. muahahahaha!! got one SH laying on the stairs and laughing at the sky!! OMG, i am sure there were many people watching this famous Bollywood comedian~~ :p

      #21.. oh, hand prints on the snow!! hahaha, i wonder how long they will last?? seems like the snow was melting?? anyway, the prints on the snow may melt, but the prints and ties inside both of your hearts will remain till eternity~~ :)

      Delete
    5. yeah, i have a nice streak of comments!! purposely waited for LouizYee to gone home so that she would not interrupt me~~ :p

      Delete
  7. Heavenly photographs with blue skies and white clouds first time i heard of electric blankets mountain tortoise hor me won't get electric shock meh??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heavenly photographs with blue skies and white clouds first time i heard of electric blankets mountain tortoise hor me won't get electric shock meh??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heavenly photographs with blue skies and white clouds first time i heard of electric blankets mountain tortoise hor me won't get electric shock meh??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Photo 16 - you purposely pose as if you are climbing up the stairs and making the final step brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing scenery, TM!! I wanted to see more pictures ... they are really awesome.... took my breath away... hahaha... now I understand why you stopped... cos the scenery took your breath away not because you are breathless... hahahaa....

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, it's heavenly! I haven't seen such views before! I really envy you for braving yourself to the very top! Bravo to both you and yr wife!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good morning TM, the weather here is warm...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good morning TM!!
    Hope you're having a great Saturday!

    Hmm, the view of the toilets........ Sorry but that was bearable to you? For me they're totally not bearable! Though I can be very open minded but 'open toilet' like this, no no! But I wonder are most of the toilets like this in China? Even for the ladies?
    I heard that they can pee/poo in public too, is that true? =_="

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anyway, at least you shared some beautiful views with us in the second half of this post, something to balance up after that toilet photo :p

      Seriously those views are so so nice, can make them into postcards la! Both wifey and you also look good, and seems that you guys enjoyed the trip to bits!

      Delete
    2. It seems very very cold there! But at least I see some sunlight, to warm the surrounding a little.
      It was snowing when I was in Korea early this year, freezingly cold too, and there was no sunlight that time. Nonetheless, we had fun playing under the snow =)

      Delete
  15. Hey, thanks for the beautiful shots! Gosh, I would like to be the one sitting on those seats being carried up the mountain. Can never imagine myself hiking up. Lol! Dropping by to wish you & your lovely wife a Merry X'mas & Happy 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing and breathtaking pixs ! You are really one hell of an hiker.

    ReplyDelete
  17. wah snow, i really like the picture with snow~ wish i can go too~ sorry for late and merry christmas too~!

    ReplyDelete
  18. 2. Chit chatting inside toilet??? Not smelly meh, hehe!!!

    5. So lazy, they not like those elderly can't up the hill(maybe elderly walk faster than them) !!! =[

    11. You made the snowman?

    15. Wow, is like stand on top of clouds, like the view!!! =]

    Like this place, especially it covers with all snow!!! =]

    ReplyDelete
  19. You took picture inside the toilet? Nobody complained you're a pervert?

    ReplyDelete
  20. BTW, I had experienced with worse toilet in China...

    ReplyDelete
  21. the sequence of the photo got problem lah, the toilet photo why u put after the photo of those yummy food? =.="

    ReplyDelete
  22. Here I comr...wait ah...I scroll up read post first

    ReplyDelete
  23.  Mount Hua in Xian, Mount Jiuhua in Anhui Province, Mount Emei in Sichuan, Mount Wutai and Mount Putuo ..5mountains leh. Now more than 50% . Not bad. After these 5 mountain where else?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Some small hotels are more friendly than large chain hotel that intersted in money only.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The toilet same for ladies? No wonder I heard hv to bring umbrella when go toilet

    ReplyDelete
  26. The ice is slippery...adoi ...how to walk in high heels. You with protective shoes also feel cold. I wonder if yhose silly wearing high heels will have frost bite in their toes or not.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Why "climb" mountain if in sedan chair??? I would understand la if its old folks or OKU. But if normal healthy person...why?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Not surprisingly going up mountain will semput. Wah u go gym regularly also semput. If me sure hv to crawl liao.

    I wonder when u mentioned blurred photos..could it be something like snow blindness?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite what you said about blur photos, the ones you choose post up looks great. Can see the sharp contrast between blue sky and the cloud.

      Delete
    2. Finally...mission accomplished :)

      Delete
  29. Happy 2014 to you and yours. My wish for you is a year full of lots of JOY, PEACE, LOVE and BLESSINGS.

    WOW---what a great hike you had... I love being above the clouds like that. Glad you made it to the top. Happy New Year. Your camera did GREAT since your photos are FABULOUS.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  30. Whoa interesting post on your climb up Mount Emei. Might need some tips from you coz climbing Snow Mountain in Taiwan this Feb.

    ReplyDelete
  31. First time hear about Samantabhadra Bodisattva from Mahayana Buddhism.

    ReplyDelete
  32. wah, hard core adventure there.. Wish I had the luxury to travel nowadays.

    Anyway, Happy new year 2014 !! :) Trying to find time again to explore my good friend's blogs..

    ReplyDelete
  33. Huwa... I would love to go for such pilgrimage exhibition. Would be good for me and my boy!

    ps: Happy new year. Have a blessed one.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi! Nice captures. No.15 photo is breathtakinglly beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow! You had such an awesome trip! Love it!!But I think I can't stand the cold! My hands will go numb and I my nose will go runny all day!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. LOL! Serious? There are ladies wearing high heels climbing the mountain? Crazy meh?

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh God the toilets! Don't mention the toilets please!! Can't stand them!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. The view from the top really looks awesome!! Not sure if that's how heaven looks like though haha! Heaven might look completely different! :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow..Emei Shan is indeed so beautiful and it's quite fun to see some rich people hired some people to carry them up. What a waste of missing those adventurous steps.

    Happy New Year and best of luck in Year 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  40. What an interesting trek! I didn't know about the 4 mountains.

    Haha! I know about that China toilet though, even in gem shops the toilets are without doors, people just take a dump with a newspaper in front of them.

    Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Those toilet stories really the culprit which scare me from visiting any place in China.

    ReplyDelete

The Day My World Ended

At sunrise of 3rd August, my wife came to fetch me in her brand new car. She sped all the way through the morning traffic to Shah Alam. It w...